What is diabetes and how can it affect you?
- It is the inability of the body to metabolize (handle) its own blood sugar
- Sugar is needed as an energy source for the brain and the muscles of the body; blood delivers sugar to these tissues
- However, if too much sugar is present in the body, it can have effects on other parts of the body
What causes diabetes?
- Insulin is a hormone (protein) that is needed to drive glucose into the cells; it is made by the pancreas
- High blood sugar (diabetes) results when the pancreas is unable to make insulin (deficiency), or the body is unable to use the insulin that is made (resistance)
What are symptoms of diabetes?
- Blurry vision
- Numbness and tingling in hands and feet
- Urinating frequently and during sleep
- Weight loss in severe cases
- Yeast and leg infections
- Fungus in toenail