The Houston Medical Forum’s mission is to promote community health and wellness in the greater Houston area; to encourage research; and to support current and future sustainability of physicians of African descent and the patients they serve through education, advocacy, community outreach, mentoring and collaboration. HMF awards scholarships annually to deserving medical students in the Houston area to help defray the cost of their medical education.
Who Should Apply
Medical students entering their second, third or fourth year of training in pursuit of a medical doctorate degree or its equivalent at the Baylor College of Medicine, McGovern Medical School or the University of Texas Medical Branch.
Medical Student Scholarship Eligibility and Requirements
Full-time students currently enrolled in medical school at the Baylor College of Medicine, McGovern Medical School or the University of Texas Medical Branch who have completed their first year of medical school as of June 2019 are eligible to apply.
- Student must be in good academic standing.
- Student must be an active member of the Student National Medical Association (SNMA).
- Previous HMF scholarship recipients are ineligible to apply.
Medical Student Scholarship Application Components and Check List
- Completed scholarship application emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official medical school transcript emailed to email@example.com or mailed to Houston Medical Forum, c/o Scholarship Committee, P.O. Box 980848, Houston, Texas 77098. Must be received directly from the medical institution.
- Documentation of current SNMA membership (letter from chapter president or electronic receipt of dues payment)
- High-resolution professional headshot photograph
- Two (2) letters of references. One letter must be from a faculty member at the medical institution. Reference letters from family members will not be accepted. Letters of reference are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before October 28, 2020.
- Completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form to support financial hardship, if applicable.
Medical Student Scholarship Application Instructions and Deadline
- DEADLINE to receive the completed application and all supporting documents is Wednesday, October 28, 2020 by 11:59 p.m.
- Email the completed application, professional photo, proof of SNMA membership, and FAFSA, if applicable on or before Wednesday, October 28, 2020. Applicant will be notified of receipt of application.
- If official transcript or letters of reference are mailed, the envelope MUST be postmarked on or before Wednesday, October 28, 2020. You will be notified when the information is received. Please request transcript at least six (6) weeks before application deadline date. Mail to:
Houston Medical Forum
c/o Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 980848
Houston, Texas 77098
Incomplete applications will be ineligible for consideration.
Notification of Scholarship Award
Applicants will be notified via email of the scholarship committee’s decision by November 18, 2020.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Houston Medical Forum will not host its annual scholarship gala. The 2020 scholarship recipients will be invited to join us for a virtual holiday reception on Friday, December 4, 2020. The scholarship recipients will be honored in 2021 at the Houston Medical Forum 31st Annual Scholarship Gala.